Strawberry Sweet Rolls Recipe are made with a sweet yeast dough and fresh strawberry jam rolled into a delicious breakfast roll.
I used the last of my strawberries up today I bought a few days ago. Today I decided to make a sweet yeast roll recipe and fill it with homemade strawberry jam. I cut way back on the sugar in the jam and loved it this way. If you don’t have time to make your own jam by all means buy some jam. When I make these again I am going to add a layer of cream cheese before adding the strawberry jam. They were really good this way but would be over the top with cream cheese added to the filling. I can see these in my future soon again!
When buying fresh strawberries, look for ones that are firm, brightly colored, dry and the green stems look green and fresh. Strawberries do not ripen any further after they are picked so avoid ones that have a lot of white. Take a smell too, they should smell like strawberries. If they don’t they aren’t going to have a lot of strawberry flavor and will be on the sour side. Refrigerate them when you get them home until you are ready to use. You shouldn’t wash them either until you are ready to use them. Rinse them gently in a colander with cool water when ready to use.
- 2 packages yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup softened butter
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 - 5 1/2 cups flour
- Strawberry Jam
- 3 pints strawberries
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 cups confectionary sugar
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 3 - 4 tablespoons water
- Add the yeast, sugar and water to a small bowl. Let set until it starts to bubble, about 5 minutes.
- Add the flour and salt to your mixer bowl fitted with the dough hook. Give a quick mix. Add all of the remaining ingredients and beat with the dough hook on medium until it all comes together. Turn the mixer up a little and continue to let dough knead for about 5 minutes. If needed add a little more flour until the dough just pulls away from the bowl. Dough should be slightly sticky. Cover and let raise until doubled.
- While the dough is rising, make the jam. Wash and remove the stems from the strawberries. Cut the strawberries into quarters. Add the water and the sugar. Cook over medium heat stirring frequently for about 20 minutes. Towards the end when it starts to thicken stir constantly so the jam doesn't burn. Remove from heat to cool.
- To make the rolls roll the dough into a 8 x 18 rectangle. Spread the jam on top. Roll the dough into a cylinder. Cut into about 1 inch pieces. Place on a greased cookie sheet. Cover and let raise until doubled.
- Mix together all of the frosting ingredients. Add enough water to make the frosting spreadable. Set aside until ready to use.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15 - 18 minutes, rolls will be turning a light brown. Frost about 10 minutes after they come out of the oven.
Maybe you’d like to try our?