Today’s Sunday Supper is all about healthy green recipes to make on St. Patrick’s Day! Cabbage is one of my favorite cooked vegetables and I am always looking for new ways to cook it.
I’ve seen these cabbage steaks grilled for a while around but I was concerned about how tender the cabbage would get on the grill, so instead I did mine in the oven. I have to say we loved it cooked this way. They came out perfect.
You are going to cut the cabbage into about 1 – 1 1/4 inch slices. Spray the pan well before putting the cabbage on it.
Add a little butter, salt and pepper. I also added a sprinkling of garlic salt. Then I added about 1/3 cup of water to the bottom of the pan. I wanted the cabbage to steam to get tender before roasting it. It took about 25 minutes at 400 degrees, I flipped it over once half way thru. When I flipped it over I removed the foil.
When the cabbage was tender, I added a little butter to the top of each piece and put it under the broiler. This took a couple of minutes.
- 1 head cabbage
- salt and pepper
- garlic salt
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut the cabbage into slices 1 - 1 1/4 inches thick. Place on a sprayed cookie sheet.
- Add the salt, pepper and garlic salt.
- Turn over, add a little more salt, pepper and garlic salt.
- Spread a thin layer of butter over top.
- Add water around the cabbage.
- Cover pan with foil.
- Bake covered for 15 minutes. Remove foil and turn cabbage over.
- Bake another 5 - 10 minutes without foil until cabbage is tender.
- Turn on broiler.
- Add a little butter to the top of the cabbage.
- Broil cabbage until it starts to turn brown.
Maybe you’d like to try one of our other recipes for St. Patrick’s Day?