Pasta with bite size pieces of chicken breasts, cherry tomatoes, zucchini, pasta and sauce topped with garlic croutons and cheeses.
Chicken Parmesan Casserole
This is seriously good and not as much work as chicken parmesan can be. First of all the chicken is cubed and lightly browned with garlic powder, salt and pepper. I added fresh cherry tomatoes to a already made up spaghetti sauce for convenience and fresh zucchini.
One of the things that is so important when you cook is to season your food as you cook it. In this dish for instance you season the chicken. When you cook your pasta you want your water “to taste of the sea” as I have always heard. Cook it without enough salt and it is just bland and isn’t the same when added later. Season your spaghetti sauce if needed to suit your tastes. When you put it all together it should be balanced and perfectly seasoned!
I made some croutons because when I went to the grocery store this morning I wanted garlic or plain crouton and they didn’t have any. They did have 5 other flavors, non of which sounded good to me with chicken parmesan.
I would think this would work in a crock pot also but I would cook it on low for 4 hours checking it about every half hour after 2 hours to make sure you don’t overcook it. The recipe below will easily serve 3 people and will easily double or more if you need it to. This is a perfect dish for 2 people, you may have some leftovers but it will make a great lunch the next day. The leftovers are really yummy!
- 2 - 3 chicken breasts (1 lb.)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 package thin spaghetti - cooked half way and drained
- 3 cups favorite spaghetti sauce
- 1 zucchini- quartered and chunked
- 1 carton cherry tomatoes - quartered
- 2 teaspoons basil - optional
- 8 oz. mozzarella or Italian cheese
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 2 cups garlic croutons
- Cut the chicken breasts into cubes. Season with the garlic powder, salt and pepper. Lightly brown the chicken in a frying pan, do not cook completely thru.
- Add spaghetti sauce, cherry tomatoes, zucchini and basil to the pan. Set aside.
- Cook the spaghetti until almost cooked. Drain. Put in a greased baking dish.
- Top the spaghetti with the chicken mixture and sauce.
- Top with half of the cheese.
- Add croutons. Top with remaining cheese.
- Bake for 30 - 40 minutes at 350 degrees until it begins to brown and is bubbly around the edges. Let sit for 5 minutes before serving.