Beef, rice and cabbage in a tomato sauce tastes just like cabbage rolls with half the work.
Cabbage Rolls Casserole
I have always made cabbage rolls with a recipe my friends mom gave to me. This is a great way to take a short cut and still get the flavor without the work! I use pork sausage with my ground beef when I make the cabbage rolls so that is why you see an addition of sage here. Another name for this recipe is Inside Out Cabbage Rolls. Of course whatever you call it, it’s delicious!
You need to be making this in a deep dish 9 x 13 pan if you have one or bigger. Everyone is having a problem getting it in the pan. I plan to update this recipe next week with the cabbage by weight, I think that will help.
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3-4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 (29 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 can tomato soup
- 1 6 oz. can tomato paste
- 2 pounds chopped cabbage
- 1 cup uncooked white rice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sage
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups water (may need more)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large skillet, brown beef in oil over medium high heat until redness is gone. Drain off fat.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the onion, tomato sauce, soup, tomato paste cabbage, rice and spices. Add meat and mix all together. Add 3 cups of water. Pour mixture into a 9x13 inch deep baking dish.
- Bake in the preheated oven, covered, for 1 hour 15 minutes.
Follow me on Pinterest