Tom’s BBQ Ribs
Can you believe it is almost Labor Day? Where did the summer go? Today the Sunday Supper family is all recipes for Labor Day. We are making ribs that weekend and I wanted to share that recipe with you.
Tom does most of the barbecuing at our house and loves doing it. He makes a semi homemade North Carolina BBQ sauce to go with the ribs. We cooked these ribs on our Kamado grill but would work equally well on a gas or charcoal grill, just use indirect heat. We get the Kamado up to about 350 degrees before putting the ribs on. We usually throw a couple of handfuls of either cherry wood or hickory that has been soaked in water for at least 15 minutes. You can see the slight pinky kind of color around the edge of the cooked ribs. This is because of the smoke from the wood chips.
Slater with the sauce. This is when they really get good!
Tom’s moist and succulent ribs cooked with a semi-homemade North Carolina BBQ sauce are so easy to make and come out perfect every time he makes them.
- 1 slab ribs
- Barbecue Seasoning (I used Penzey's)
- salt and pepper
- garlic powder
- BBQ Sauce
- 1½ cups barbecue sauce (I used Sweet Baby Ray's)
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper seeds
- Combine the vinegar, sugar and pepper seeds in a saucepan.Bring to a boil and cook for 5 minutes. Strain out the seeds if you don't want the heat. Stir in the barbecue sauce.
- Season the ribs with barbecue seasoning, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Cook the ribs over indirect heat for about 1½ hours. Put the barbecue sauce on the ribs. Remove from grill when the pork reaches 165 degrees.
See what the other Sunday Supper taste makers are bringing to Labor Day dinner.
Labor Day Menu Ideas
Scrumptious Labor Day Sides and Starters
- Foil Pack Grilled Potatoes by Hardly A Goddess
- Four Bean Salad by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Jalapeno Popper Deviled Eggs by Sunday Supper Movement
- Pasta Salad with Baby Spinach and Sun-Dried Tomatoes by Simple and Savory
- Sausage and Peppers Salad by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Shelly’s Pasta Salad by Soulfully Made
- Sour Cream and Onion Potatoes by Cricket’s Confections
- Thai Spiced Shrimp Cabbage Coleslaw by Food Lust People Love
- Zucchini Parmesan Foil Packets by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
Delicious Labor Day Entrees
- Malaysian Chicken Satay by Sprinkles and Sprouts
- Grilled Hasselback Fajita Chicken by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Maple Turkey Burger with Cheddar, Bacon and Apple by Caroline’s Cooking
- Pork Spiedini Hoagies by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Sous Vide Sirloin Steak with asparagus by Our Good Life
- Sriracha Deviled Crab Sandwich with Key Lime-Bacon Slaw by Gourmet Everyday
- Tom’s BBQ Spare Ribs with North Carolina BBQ Sauce by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Vietnamese Grilled Steak Salad by Palatable Pastime
Luscious Labor Day Desserts
- Blueberry Crisp Bars by Pies and Plots
- Fudgy Brownie Trifle with Chocolate Mousse by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Watermelon Treats by The Freshman Cook
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.