I’d never had Brunswick Stew before I moved to Alabama. I think about every BBQ joint has their own version of it. I’d made some pulled pork last week so I decided to try my hand at it. This is so good and even better the next day. It is a great way to use up leftover pulled pork or shredded chicken. I just happened to have some shredded chicken in the freezer so we repurposed it and turned it in to this tasty stew. I served it with hoecakes to sop up all of the delicious broth.
Like it spicy? Add some hot sauce towards the end of the cooking time.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 3 stalks celery chopped
- 1 cup chopped peppers
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 lbs. pulled pork
- 3/4 lb. shredded chicken
- 2 cans 14.5 oz petite diced tomatoes
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3 - 4 cups chopped potatoes
- 1 1/2 cups barbecue sauce
- 8 oz. frozen corn
- 8 oz. frozen lima beans
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 - 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- salt and pepper
- Melt the butter in a large pot. Add the garlic, onions, peppers and celery and cook until translucent.
- Add the chicken broth and tomatoes (not drained).
- Stir in the pulled pork and chicken. Cook for 15 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients and bring the pot to a simmer.
- Taste to adjust the salt and pepper.
- Simmer for at least 30 minutes, preferably a hour.
Maybe you’d like to try our recipe for?