Portuguese Kale Soup is a spicy (not hot) kale soup with garlic, onions, tomatoes, chorizo and chickpeas.
Portuguese Kale Soup
“Best soup ever, it’s perfect” my friend emailed me after having this for dinner tonight. I had her stop by after work to share dinner with them so she wouldn’t have to cook after working all day. This soup can be made in about an hour and it is figure friendly too! How is that for a win, win?
I started by taking some chorizo out of the casings and chopping it up with knife into small pieces. Add it with the garlic and onions to your soup pot. Cook over medium heat until the onions start to soften. Then add tomatoes, water and chicken stock. I let it simmer for about 30 minutes, longer if you want won’t hurt a bit. Next you add in the potatoes and chickpeas. Cook for 10 minutes. Then stir in the kale and cook for another 10 minutes. You want it to just get tender and not loose that great green color.
I soaked a cup of chickpeas overnight and then cooked them until tender, just over an hour. You can use a can of already cooked chickpeas if desired, just be sure to rinse them well. The bonus of cooking my own chickpeas is the batch of hummus I am making tomorrow.
- 8 ounces fresh chorizo, removed from casing
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes with basil
- 1 can of water
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into medium dice
- 1 can (15 to 16 ounces) chickpeas, drained
- 1 pound kale, washed, stemmed and coarsely chopped
- Salt and ground black pepper
- Remove the chorizo from the casing. Cut up into pieces. Dice the onions, mince the garlic. Add all to your soup pot. Saute until the onion start to become transparent, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes, water and chicken broth. Simmer over medium heat for about 25 - 30 minutes.
- Add the chickpeas and potatoes, cook another 10 minutes. Stir in the chopped kale. Cook another 5 - 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Serve.
Sunday Supper Movement
- Almond Mocha Smoothie from The Foodie Army Wife
- Chocolate-Covered Berries Green Smoothie from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Citrus DeTox Spa Water from La Bella Vita Cucina
- Peachilious Smoothie from Peanut Butter and Peppers
Blissful Breakfast Items
- Apple Crumble Smoothie Bowl from Try Anything Once Culinary
- Light Eggs Benedict from Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
- Multigrain Scones from The Texan New Yorker
- Nutty Granola Bars from Pies and Plots
- Reduced Sugar Donuts from The Ninja Baker
- Broccoli Pesto from Curried Cantaloupe
- Fava Bean and Avocado Guacamole from Pancake Warriors
- Homemade Snickerdoodle Peanut Butter from Wallflour Girl
- Norwegian Egg Benedict from Brunch with Joy
- Roasted Pumpkin and Chevre Bruschetta from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Spicy Curried Lentil Spread with Winter Veggies from Lifestyle Food Artistry
Savory Soups and Sides
- Butternut Squash and Roasted Red Pepper Soup from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Light Creamed Roasted Vegetable Soup from Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Detox Chicken Bok Choy Soup from Nosh My Way
- French Potato Leek Soup from Curious Cuisiniere
- Gluten Free Chicken Pho Soup from Gluten Free Crumbley
- Marinated Tomato and Mozzarella Salad from From Gate to Plate
- Quinoa Mango Pomegranate Spinach Salad with White Balsamic Vinigrette from Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Red Cabbage and Golden Raisin Salad from girlichef
- Shredded Brussels Sprouts and Endive Slaw with Champagne Vinaigrette from Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Spinach and Black Bean Ravioletti Soup from Big Bear’s Wife
- Black Pepper Tofu with Black Garlic Sauce from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Fish Steamed with Spicy Couscous from Food Lust People Love
- Greek Style Gyros with Tzatziki Sauce from Nik Snacks
- Kale Pesto with Squash Noodles from Ruffles & Truffles
- Mexican Turkey Cutlets from Magnolia Days
- Meyer Lemon Roasted Chicken Thighs, Fennel & Sweet Potato from The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Portuguese Kale Soup from Recipes Food and Cooking
- Salmon with Mushroom Sauce from Cooking Chat
- Skinny Chicken-Leek Pot Pie from The Weekend Gourmet
- Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Quinoa from Bobbi’s Kosy Kitchen
- Slow Cooker Italian Barley & Sausage from Foxes Loves Lemons
- Tomato Basil Soup with Grilled Pimento Cheese Sandwiches from Food Done Light
- Tomato Goat Cheese Arugula Flatbread from Family Foodie
- Easy to be Green Chocolate Chip Cookies from What Smells So Good?
- Fruit Parfait from Desserts Required
- Maple Pear Scones from Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Easy Blackberry Crumble from The Perfect Brownie
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.