Portuguese Kale Soup is a spicy (not hot) kale soup with garlic, onions, tomatoes, chorizo and chickpeas.
Portuguese Kale Soup
“Best soup ever, it’s perfect” my friend emailed me after having this for dinner tonight. I had her stop by after work to share dinner with them so she wouldn’t have to cook after working all day. This soup can be made in about an hour and it is figure friendly too! How is that for a win, win?
I started by taking some chorizo out of the casings and chopping it up with knife into small pieces. Add it with the garlic and onions to your soup pot. Cook over medium heat until the onions start to soften. Then add tomatoes, water and chicken stock. I let it simmer for about 30 minutes, longer if you want won’t hurt a bit. Next you add in the potatoes and chickpeas. Cook for 10 minutes. Then stir in the kale and cook for another 10 minutes. You want it to just get tender and not loose that great green color.
I soaked a cup of chickpeas overnight and then cooked them until tender, just over an hour. You can use a can of already cooked chickpeas if desired, just be sure to rinse them well. The bonus of cooking my own chickpeas is the batch of hummus I am making tomorrow.
- 8 ounces fresh chorizo, removed from casing
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes with basil
- 1 can of water
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into medium dice
- 1 can (15 to 16 ounces) chickpeas, drained
- 1 pound kale, washed, stemmed and coarsely chopped
- Salt and ground black pepper
- Remove the chorizo from the casing. Cut up into pieces. Dice the onions, mince the garlic. Add all to your soup pot. Saute until the onion start to become transparent, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes, water and chicken broth. Simmer over medium heat for about 25 - 30 minutes.
- Add the chickpeas and potatoes, cook another 10 minutes. Stir in the chopped kale. Cook another 5 - 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Serve.