Black Bean Chili with Spaghetti Squash
Today’s Sunday Supper post is all about lean ground beef. I enjoy finding delicious tasty ways to change up my eating habits. About a year ago I decided to change the way I eat. I knew I couldn’t use the word diet anywhere or I would of sabotaged myself the first time I slipped up. I also knew that whatever I did it had to be long term which meant I had to change the way I cooked.
I sit at a computer all day and also have to had both of my knees replaced. It was all of the excuses I needed to settle for my weight gain over the last 10 years. Last year changing the way I eat let me loose almost 70 lbs.and I never felt like I was on diet! Dishes like this delicious Black Bean Chili with Spaghetti Squash is one of the ways I did it. I now only buy ground beef that is 93% lean. I always try to get additional vegetables in what I eat as well. I think you will be surprised to see how tasty chili is over spaghetti squash.
Have you ever cooked with dried peppers like the poblano pepper I used in this recipe? I love using them and it is a great way to amp up the flavor especially in your Mexican dishes. To use the dried peppers I soak them in warm water for at least 20 minutes to soften them up. Then I put it in the blender with a little more water. Pulse until the pepper is in very small pieces and it is ready to use. It will really add a ton of flavor without adding heat. I always buy the mild poblano peppers. You can skip adding them if you like but I would make a bet that once you try them you’ll find all kind of excuses to be using them.
- 1 lb. 93% lean ground beef
- 1 28 oz. can tomatoes
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1/2 cup diced peppers
- 1 6 oz can tomato paste
- 3 - 4 stalks celery
- 1 dried poblano pepper
- 1 28 oz. can water
- 1 can black beans
- 1 can corn
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- salt and pepper
- Spaghetti Squash
- Put the poblano pepper in a bowl of water to soften for at least 20 minutes. After 20 minutes put in the blender with a little more warm water and pulse until the pepper pieces are really small.
- Brown the ground beef.
- Add the onions and saute with the beef about 5 minutes.
- Add the peppers and celery.
- Add the tomatoes and water.
- Stir in the tomato paste.
- Add the poblano pepper, chili powder, oregano and cumin. Cook for 30 minutes over medium heat.
- Cut the spaghetti squash in half. Remove the seeds. Place on a cookie sheet cut side down with about 1/4 cup of water. Bake at 400 degrees for 30 - 45 minutes or until the squash is tender. Use a fork to remove the squash from it's shell.
- Rinse the beans and drain the corn. Add to the pot. Cook for another 30 minutes.
See all of the recipes the Sunday Supper family has made for you this week.
Appetizers, Soups, and Salads
- Baked Kibbeh with Yogurt Sauce by Food Lust People Love
- Italian Wedding Soup by Hardly A Goddess
- Lighter Tex-Mex Albondigas Soup by The Weekend Gourmet
- Spaghetti and Meatball Soup by Cricket’s Confections
- Steak Taco Salad Wonton Cups by Caroline’s Cooking
- Thai Steak Salad with Noodles by Positively Stacey
- Warm Steak Salad by Food Done Light
Lean Ground Beef Recipes
- Cheeseburger Stew by Our Good Life
- Cheesesteak Bruschetta by The Food Hunter’s Guide to Cuisine
- Clean Eating Sloppy Joes by A Mind “Full” Mom
- Old Fashioned Porcupine Meatballs by Turnips 2 Tangerines
- Shepherd’s Pie by Simple and Savory
- Smothered Hamburger Steaks by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Spaghetti Squash with Chili by Recipes Food and Cooking
- BBQ Filet Beef Tips by The Freshman Cook
- Beef Broccoli Pasta by Wholistic Woman
- Beef Ddukboki (Non-Spicy Sautéed Korean Rice Cakes) by kimchi MOM
- Beef Steak Fajitas by Asian In America
- Beef Vegetable Stir-Fry by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Black Pepper Beef with Broccoli and Noodles by Sunday Supper Movement
- Easy Sriracha Beef Cauliflower Rice Bowls by Family Foodie
- Skinny Beef Enchiladas with Creamy Avocado Sauce by Mindy’s Cooking Obsession
Sandwiches and Wraps
- Asian Steak Lettuce Wraps by The Chef Next Door
- My Big Lean Greek Beef Wrap by Go Epicurista
- Slow Cooker Tuscan French Dips by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Spicy Beef Lettuce Wraps by Pies and Plots
- Spicy Beef Tacos by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Steak and Eggs Wraps by Eat, Drink and be Tracy
- Baked Chicken Fried Steak by Dizzy Busy and Hungry
- Chile Lime Flank Steak Tacos by The Redhead Baker
- Filet Mignon with Roasted Vegetable Salad by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Flank Steak Roulades by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Flank Steak with Chimichurri by Monica’s Table
- Roasted Garlic Sirloin Steak with Rosemary by Cooking Chat
- Swiss Steak by Palatable Pastime
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Maybe you’d like to try our recipe for?
Beef Tenderloin Tips with Brown Rice and Asparagus
I absolutely love how you served this up with spaghetti squash! Looks delicious.
Mary Ellen says
Wendy Klik says
This sounds wonderful. I love spaghetti squash. Congrats on all your hard work paying off….keep it up.
Mary Ellen says
Thanks so much!