A friend of mine made this Pierogi Lasagna as a side dish for Christmas. It was delicious so I decided to make my own version of it to share with you all. It has layers of lasagna noodles and a filling made of mashed potatoes, onions, sour cream and cheddar cheese. She used 2 bags of Simply Potatoes, the mashed ones.
I made mine the day before I needed it, it worked great. If you refrigerate this dish it will require an extra 30 minutes of baking time. This is my favorite side dish for right now, perfect for a pot luck dinner.
Tip: I found that spreading the potatoes over the lasagna noodles was a little difficult. I used my knife I use for frosting cakes and it made it easy peasy.
I served this with an old family recipe for Ham Loaf.
- 3 lbs potatoes
- 1 large onion
- milk - as needed
- 16 oz. sour cream
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3 cups cheddar cheese
- 12 lasagna noodles
- salt and pepper
- Cook the lasagna noodles until almost tender.
- Cook the potatoes until tender. Drain well. I put them back on the burner they were on over very low heat to make sure the water is removed for a couple of minutes.
- Chop the onions and saute in one tablespoon butter.
- Mash potatoes, add the sour cream and remaining butter. Add milk as needed to make fluffy mashed potatoes. Stir in the onions and 2 cups of the cheese.
- Grease a 9 x 13 pan. Lay 3 noodles on the bottom. Top with 1/3 of the potato mixture. Add another layer of noodles. Top with potatoes. Add noodles and top with remaining potatoes. Lay the remaining noodles on top.
- Bake for 1 hour covered with foil. Add remaining cheese and put back in the oven until it is melted.
Maybe you’d like to try our recipe for?