Spaghetti Squash Burrito Bowl
I made this for dinner last night and absolutely loved it. This is a dish that could convince you to become vegetarian and I don’t say that often. The spaghetti squash was perfect with the spicy mixture of corn, black beans, onion, peppers, salsa, cilanto and jalapenos.
To cook a spaghetti squash you first need to split it in half. It is a really hard squash so be prepared and use a really sharp knife. Once you get it split open remove the seeds inside. Then lay them cut side down on a cookie sheet. Put them in a 350 degree oven. Add a couple of cups of water to the bottom of the pan. I find this easier to do once I put the cookie sheet in the oven. Bake until tender. Now this is the cool part. When the squash is done use a fork and separate the squash, it will look like spaghetti!
You’ll be surprised I think by how filling this is. I only could eat about a third of it and I didn’t make anything else. Next time I make this I think I’m going to add some chopped up sweet potato and maybe some fava beans. Cheese is optional but I was fine without it. I’d use a Queso Fresco. If I’d thought of that last night for sure I would of, about a half cup would be awesome.
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 - 2 garlic cloves - crushed
- 1 cup black beans - drained and rinsed well
- 1 cup corn
- 1 cup diced red onion
- 3 green onions
- 8 oz. chunky salsa
- 2 - 3 sweet peppers - chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper - chopped fine
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- salt and pepper
- handful cilantro - chopped
- Start by roasting the spaghetti squash. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Cut the spaghetti squash in half. Remove the seeds. Place cut side down on a cookie sheet. Place pan in oven. Add a couple of cups of water to pan. Bake for 45 - 60 minutes or until spaghetti squash is tender.Let cool for about 10 minutes and then use a fork to separate the strands of the squash. Put the squash in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a saute pan, add the oil. Add the onions and garlic. When they start to soften add the peppers. Cook for several minutes.
- Add the black beans, corn, salsa. cumin, salt and pepper. Add the cilantro and remove from heat.
- Put some of the squash back in the shell. Add 1/4 of the vegetable mixture on top. Fill the shell with more spaghetti squash. Then top with with a 1/4 more of the mixture. Fill other shell repeating these steps.
- Wrap the halves in aluminum foil. Put on a cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
Maybe you’d like to try our recipe for?