A delicious baked cauliflower in a creamy cheese sauce topped with panko.
Baked Cauliflower with Cheese Sauce
This is one of my favorite cauliflower recipes. My Aunt Barb made it one holiday and I’ve been making it ever since. The cauliflower is steamed first before getting a bath in a creamy cheese sauce. It doesn’t get any better than this. I add panko just before it goes in the oven which gives it a slightly crispy crust. You can make this ahead of time but wait to add the panko until just before you pop it in the oven.
- 1 cauliflower
- 2 cups milk
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 cups sharp cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper
- 3 - 4 dashes Tabasco sauce
- 1/2 cup panko crumbs
- Remove the outer leaves from the cauliflower. Put the cauliflower in a pan that can be covered. Add 2 inches of water. Cover and steam cauliflower over medium heat for about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and put cauliflower whole into a baking dish.
- Add the butter to a saucepan. Stir in the flour. Whisk in the milk and stir until thickened. Take off of the heat and add the cheese, salt, pepper and Tabasco sauce.
- Pour over the cauliflower. Top with the panko.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 25 - 30 minutes or until lightly browned.
Maybe you’d like to try our?