Potato Bread is made using mashed potatoes, they are a light and easy to make yeast bread. Makes rolls or loaves of bread.
Bread is one of my favorite things to make. This recipe uses up your extra mashed potatoes and make a tender, fine crumbed bread with a nice crust. If you don’t have leftover mashed potatoes you can use instant potatoes to equal the one cup needed for this recipe.
My grandmother made bread almost every Saturday morning of her life. You could smell the bread baking before you ever walked in the door. She did it without a kitchen aid mixer which I faithfully use and never used a recipe. I can still see her kneading that dough on the porcelain top of her counter, flour flying and bracelets clinking together. She always used at least 5 pounds of flour so you can imagine how much dough that was. She would make loaves of bread and wonderful tiny cinnamon rolls that all of us loved. How I loved being in the kitchen with her and I learned so much from her.
- 1 cup mashed potatoes
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup butter - soft
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 package yeast
- 1/2 cup warm milk
- 5 cups flour, about
- In large bowl, mix together the mashed potatoes, eggs, and butter. Stir in sugar, salt, yeast, and warm milk.
- Mix in enough flour to make a dough that can be kneaded by hand. Turn dough out onto floured board and knead it until smooth and elastic or use a dough hook with your mixer.
- Put dough in a greased bowl. Cover and let rise for 1 to 2 hours, until double in bulk.
- Punch down dough. Turn out onto lightly floured board and briefly knead out bubbles.
- Divide dough in half and shape one into a loaf. With the other half roll out dough to about an inch thick. Using a 2 1/2 inch cutter cut out circles of dough. Fold in half and place on greased cookie sheet. Place loaf into greased 8 x 4 x 2-inch bread pan. Cover and let rise a second time for 40 minutes or until doubled.
- Bake loaf at 350 degrees F for 40 minutes or until bread sounds hollow when the top is tapped on. Bake rolls for 18 - 20 minutes.
- Remove loaf from pan when done baking and let cool.
Maybe you’d like to try our?
Follow me on Pinterest