Hot Dogs with Chili Sauce
This weeks Sunday Supper is all about Creative Hot Dog recipes so I had to share my recipe for Chili Sauce. My uncle owned a restaurant when I was growing up and I can’t begin to tell you how many foot long hot dogs (and onion rings) we served. One of the things that set him apart from from other area restaurants was that his hot dog buns were always toasted. I worked weekends there with my cousin Mollie. Our first job of the day was to shave the buns we used for the day. We usually did about 12 cases of buns on a Saturday and by the time we left were doing it again. That’s a lot of chili dogs going out the door!
He ordered his chili ready made and all we had to do was to heat the sauce. I decided however to make my own chili sauce for this recipe. It takes about 30 minutes to make and it even gets better the next day. Using the 3 teaspoons of chili powder got it a little spicy so start out with 2 and add more if desired.
- 1 lb. 90% ground beef
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups diced onions
- 3 teaspoons sugar
- 2 tablespoon apple vinegar
- 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 cup ketchup
- salt and pepper
- hot dogs bun
- Stir the ground beef with the water to make a thick mixture. Cook over medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients. Cook for thirty minutes over medium lot heat,
- Toast the buns thinly on each side. spread with a layer of butter. Toast bun.
- Cook hot dog and add to bun. Top with the chili sauce and chopped onions.
See what the other Sunday Supper taste makers are making.
Sunday Supper Creative Hot Dog Recipes
- Bacon Wrapped Hot Dogs with Fruit Salsa by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Honey BBQ Hot Dogs by Home Sweet Homestead
- Hot Dog & Hamburger Cowboy Beans by Soulfully Made
- All American Hot Dog by The Freshman Cook
- Banh Mi Hot Dog by Cricket’s Confections
- Buffalo Hot Dogs by The Crumby Kitchen
- Copy Cat Detroit Coney Dogs by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Matcha Ochazuke Hot Dog Rice by NinjaBaker.com
- Memphis Hot Dog by Bottom Left of the Mitten
- Philly Mushroom Swiss Dog (Low Carb) by My Life Cookbook
- Sauerkraut Stuffed Dogs by Gourmet Everyday
- South of the Border Hot Dogs by My Blissful Mess
Tex Mex Dogs
- Chili Cheese Dog Baked Potatoes by Food Lust People Love
- Burrito Dogs by Our Good Life
- Hot Dog with Chili Sauce by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Taco Hot Dog is Nacho Regular Dog by Sunday Supper Movement
- Hot Dog Breakfast Tacos by Pies and Plots
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.