Fresh sliced mushrooms, basil, caramelized onions, tuna salad on toast topped with melted swiss cheese.
Years ago, my uncle used to eat a version of this sandwich. It actually was a weight watcher’s recipe back then, not sure if it would be today. Today when I realized I hadn’t taken anything out the freezer and was puzzling over what to make when I saw some mushrooms in my refrigerator I needed to use up.
I had one of those light bulb moments that it was time to update this great supper sandwich. Instead of canned mushrooms, I used fresh mushrooms with slices of onion that started to caramelize and some fresh basil. I made an easy tuna salad with relish and olive oil mayonnaise and then added toast and swiss cheese. Yummy!
This is a very flexible recipe, add more or less mushrooms, onions or add garlic if you are in the mood.
- 1 can tuna
- 2 tablespoons olive oil mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons sweet relish
- 6 - 8 oz. fresh mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1/3 cup sliced onions
- about 8 - 12 basil leaves or to taste
- 4 oz. Swiss cheese
- 4 pieces bread
- Saute the mushrooms and onions in the butter until the onions begin to caramelize and mushrooms are lightly browned. Add some torn basil.
- Make tuna salad with mayonnaise and sweet relish.
- Toast the bread.
- Divide the tuna between the 4 slices of bread.
- Top with mushroom mixture.
- Top with swiss cheese.
- Broil under high heat until the cheese starts to melt.
- Serve right away.
Maybe you’d like to try?