Green beans, roasted corn, pimento and black bean salad in a garlicky minced garlic olive oil vinaigrette.
Green Bean, Roasted Corn and Black Bean Salad
Picnic time recipes again. After a short trip to the farmers market I found the beautiful green beans and corn I used to make this salad. I absolutely love going to farmers market and will pick that choice any day over a grocery store even if it does take a little more time. That just picked freshness gets me every time. I also came home with heritage tomatoes, fresh basil that I will show you what I made in the next post.
This salad is easy to make, you could even use leftover roasted corn if you had it from a previous meal. Since I was taking this on a picnic I made a light garlic vinaigrette so I wouldn’t need to be worried about spoiling in this hot, humid weather. Whenever possible I avoid mayonnaise based salads for picnics or outdoor events in the summer unless I know it will be sitting out less than 30 minutes. I know that is under what the experts says for a time safe period but I err on the safe but not sorry page here.
I blanched the green beans until they were just tender and immediately got them in the vinaigrette while still warm so they could start soaking it up. When I on my cutting board and used the bottom of a flat pan to crush the peppers to the made the vinaigrette I wanted a peppery bite in it so since my pepper mill is hard to get the size of pieces I wanted the pepper to be, I put the peppercorns size I wanted.
- 1 lb. green beans
- 4 ears corn
- ¼ cup red roasted peppers or store bought pimento
- 1½ cups black beans
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup red onion - chopped
- 2 cloves garlic - minced
- 1 teaspoon black pepper - crushed
- Make the vinaigrette. Blend all the ingredients in the bowl you are going to mix up the salad in. Set aside while you prepare the vegetables.
- Wash the green beans. Break into bite size pieces. Blanch the green beans in boiling water until just tender.
- Peel the corn and roast it on the grill. Don't have a grill? Then quickly blanch the corn in boiling salted water or microwave it in the husks for 3 minutes. Cut the corn off of the cob and add it to the salad bowl.
- Rinse the black beans and add to the salad bowl.
- Toss everything in the vinaigrette. Refrigerate the salad until ready to serve.
Some more of our salads
Deli Macaroni Salad – one of my favorites!