Steak Salad with Blue Cheese Crumbles and Onion Strings with leafy greens, marinated skirt steak and homemade onion strings.
This is such a tasty salad and the steak cooked on the Kamado Gill was amazing. I marinated the steak for about 20 minutes but you could do it longer if you wish. I got started late and we were in a hurry for dinner.
The star of the show were the onion strings. The onion strings were so easy to make, cut your onion up into thin strips and add 1/2 cup of buttermilk to them. Toss them in it for 30 minutes. I used a large sweet onion and got enough onion strings for 4 people. Next you add a cup of flour to a cake pan, add 1 teaspoon of seasoned salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper and mix well. Add a cup of oil to a pan and heat to 350 degrees. Toss the onion pieces in the flour to coat and add a few to the oil and cook until browned. I used a skillet to fry mine and did them in 3 batches. Remove to a paper towel to drain.
- Skirt Steak Marinade
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup ketchup
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon pepper and salt
- 3 - 4 garlic cloves - sliced thin or minced
- Skirt Steak
- 1 small head lettuce
- 1 head romaine lettuce
- 1 carrot
- 3 - 4 mini peppers
- ½ cup blue cheese crumbles
- Start the onion strings. Start the Kamado grill and start a fire that will get to 500 degrees.
- Mix together the marinade ingredients in a small bowl. Add the steak and coat well. If only marinating for the 20 minutes, just cover and leave out. (any longer and I would refrigerate it)
- Wash the lettuce and spin it dry. Cut up the carrot, tomato and sweet peppers. Refrigerate the salad until ready to serve.
- Place the steak on the grill and cook until medium rare, turning once. I cooked mine with the cover down and it took about 8 minutes. I had my vents set wide open. Let steak set for at least 5 minutes before slicing into thin strips.
- Fry the onion strings while the steak is cooking. (Directions are above)
- Toss the salad ingredients together. Place on a platter. Top with the steak, blue cheese crumbles and onion strings.
Maybe you’d like to try our?