Easy spaghetti meat sauce recipe that gets better the longer it cooks and even better the next day.
This is basically my go to meat sauce recipe for spaghetti. It gets better the longer it’s cooked but it can be ready to eat in about an hour if you are in a hurry. This sauce freezes well and can be used many different ways. Lasagna, goulash or regular spaghetti are a few that come to mind quickly. Depending on the acid in the tomatoes I add a little sugar to balance the sauce, not much a tablespoon or two. Now if my mom was making it she would add much more but I prefer it with less. Add mushrooms if you like in the last half hour of cooking time.
It takes just a few ingredients to make a great sauce. I use sweet peppers in it but green peppers if you like them are also good. I find the sweet peppers have a milder flavor and prefer them.
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 medium onion - chopped
- 1 cup green pepper - chopped
- 3 - 4 cloves garlic - minced
- 2 28 oz. cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 tablespoons basil
- 1 - 2 tablespoons sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Brown the ground beef in a large pan.
- Add the onions, green peppers and garlic. Cook until the onion is translucent.
- Add remaining ingredients and cook over medium low heat for at least an hour, stirring frequently. Add a little water if necessary.
- Serve over spaghetti noodles and fresh parmesan cheese.
Maybe you’d like to try?
Follow me on Pinterest