Sour and sweet cherries baked into a delicious cake, best served warm with ice cream.
Have you noticed the sweet cherries are back in the grocery stores? I love them and can eat them just as they are as a snack. I opted to make this cake and use a few of them with a can of sour cherries I had. I loved the combination when served with the Vanilla Ice Cream I made yesterday. In about an hour you can have this easy cake mixed, baked and ready to serve.
I used Truvia again in place of the sugar. I really like Truvia in baked goods and I figure that half of the sugar is better than all when I shouldn’t be eating it.
I’m a gadget buyer and this is the best little gadget for pitting cherries I have ever tried. There isn’t a name on it so I can’t tell you for sure who made it but I think it might be OXO judging from the black handle. It works like a dream and makes pitting cherries a breeze!
- 1 1/2 cups sugar or 3/4 cup Truvia
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cups cherries, canned
- 1 cup sweet cherries
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries (optional)
- 1 cup cherry juice
- Cream 1/2 cup sugar (1/4 cup Truvia) and butter together. Sift together flour, salt and baking soda and add to creamed mixture. Mix in milk and vanilla. Spread in buttered 8 x 8 baking dish.
- In a bowl mix fruit with 1 cup sugar, pour in 1 cup juice (from the can). Cover batter with fruit mixture in baking dish.
- Bake at 350 degrees F. for 45 minutes. Serve hot with vanilla ice cream.
Maybe you’d like to try?