Sausage, hash browns, scrambled eggs and cheese all wrapped in an egg roll and served with a bowl of sausage gravy for dipping them in.
Breakfast Sausage Egg Rolls
A while back a friend of mine, Gretchen posted a pic what she was having for dinner and oh my gosh I knew these would soon be made in my kitchen. I love sausage gravy and had never thought about dipping egg rolls into it. What a perfect make ahead dish for a brunch!
These are pretty easy to do and go together pretty quickly. Loved this idea and now that I made them, love them! I grew up not knowing what sausage gravy even was, but as soon as I learned it fast became a family favorite. It is comfort food to me.
I am so glad now you can get a reduced fat sausage. Depending on what sausage you buy you may need to add a little fat to make your gravy. I always keep bacon grease in my fridge for things like this and this sausage was so lean I had to add a tablespoon of it to the skillet before I added the flour. You can find a recipe for Sausage Gravy here.
Here is what my mixture looked like before I made the egg rolls.
- 3/4 lb. reduced fat sausage
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 4 cups milk
- 3 cups shredded hash browns
- 3 – 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper
- Oil for frying
- Brown sausage in a skillet. Remove 1/2 cup to a mixing bowl. Add flour to the skillet and brown a little in the sausage fat. Slowly add milk and stir several times while it thickens. Add salt and pepper to taste. Keep warm while making egg rolls.
- Mix eggs with the water and scramble the eggs. Cook eggs in a small frying pan just until set. Add to sausage. (Don’t cook all the way through, they will finish cooking when you make the egg rolls.)
- Into the bowl with the sausage add the potatoes and cheese. Add 1/2 cup of the sausage gravy mixture. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir to blend together.
- To make egg rolls, take a egg roll wrapper and put about 1/3 cup of the potato sausage mixture just below the center. Fold over one half to make a triangle. You should have about a 1/2 inch of the bottom part of the wrapper still exposed. With you finger brush a little water along that edge to help seal the egg rolls. Then fold in 2 sides forming the egg roll shape. Then roll up egg roll.
- To fry the egg rolls, heat oil to 325º. Drop egg rolls into hot oil. Fry for 3 – 4 minutes or until golden brown. Drain on a paper towel.
- Serve with a bowl of sausage gravy.
- Inspired by my friend Gretchen Mora who posted these egg rolls one day on her Facebook page and I have been wanting to make them ever since. Yummy!
Maybe you’d like to try our?