You’ll get 3 layers with this cake, the bottom a dense cake like layer, the center layer is more like a custard and the top layer a beautiful light sponge type cake.
Strawberry Magic Cake
What’s magic you ask? This cake when it bakes will make 3 layers of yummy goodness, a crust type layer, creamy custard and a light delicate cake on top. Top it with sweetened strawberries and whipped cream.
I used truvia in place of the sugar and also used 2% milk in the cake recipe. I think the only thing I might do different would of been to add vanilla bean to the cake mixture, especially if I was serving this plain. The cake part on this has a wonderful texture, so light!
You can also sprinkle the top with confectionery sugar and serve the cake as is without the strawberries.
You can see the 3 layers in this picture.
- 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk, lukewarm
- Preheat oven to 325 F degrees. Grease a 8 inch x 8 inch baking dish.
- Separate the eggs and add the egg whites to your mixer bowl. Beat until egg whites are stiff. Set aside.
- Beat the egg yolks in a separate bowl with the sugar until light. Add the water, vanilla and butter and stir to incorporate. Stir in the flour and salt and mix well. Add the milk and beat until everything is well combined.
- Add 1/3 of the egg whites, folding in with a spatula. Repeat 2 more times being careful not to deflate the egg whites.
- Pour into prepared pan. Bake for 40 minutes and check to see if it's done. If is still fluid in the center it is not done. It can take up to 60 minutes to bake in some ovens.
Maybe you’d like to try our ?