Hot Beef Sandwiches
I made this last weekend and it was so good! There is nothing better than good gravy and this is even better because every bite has tender pieces of beef in it. You can make the chuck roast in the oven or crock pot. This is pure comfort food.
We used to sell these in my uncle’s restaurant and by far they were one of the most popular items on the menu. Everyone loved them. Now you hardly ever see them on a menu. We used to make them with 2 slices of bread unlike the one you see here with just the one slice of bread. We used to not leave the roast in the gravy like I do here. We sliced the beef and put it in between the bread and then topped it all with just plain gravy. You can do it either way.
When the roast is done you need to thicken up the broth with the roast. I use flour because that’s how my mom did it, you could also use cornstarch mixed in with water.
- 3 lb. chuck roast
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 medium onion
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups beef broth
- ¼ cup flour
- ½ cup water
- 2 tablespoons parsley
- Salt and pepper the roast. Brown the chuck roast in a pan over medium heat.
- Add the onions and get a little bit of color on them.
- Add the beef broth.
- Put the roast in the oven at 350 degrees. Cook until it is fall apart tender. It should take between 1 hour 30 minutes to 2 hours.
- Shred the beef with 2 forks. Put the pot on the stove over medium heat. Add parsley.
- Mix together the flour and water. Stir this mixture into the pot to thicken the gravy. Let simmer for about 5 minutes after thickening.
Maybe you’d like to try our?