Are you looking for an economical meal to feed the whole family? Shepherd’s Pie is the answer. This 9 x 13 pan only uses a 1 1/2 lbs. of ground beef, mixed vegetables, mashed potatoes and cheese. It can be made a day ahead of time and then baked the next day for a healthy meal.
Here is our meat mixture before I made the gravy. We had some summer squash I wanted to use up so I added these too. That’s the beauty of shepherd’s pie, most leftover vegetables can be added to the mixture.
Top with mashed potatoes either real or instant. I made extra mashed potatoes the day before knowing I was making this the next day. Don’t have mashed potatoes? A bag of the ready made mashed potatoes work too. Or do you have a bag of tater tots in the freezer? Top the meat mixture with those instead and then add the cheese.
- 1 1/2 lbs. ground beef
- 1 onion - chopped
- 2 cloves garlic (optional)
- 1 lb. package frozen mixed vegetables
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 2 cups beef broth
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup water
- 6 cups mashed potatoes
- 2 cups cheese
- Brown the ground beef in a pan large enough to hold all of meat and vegetables. Saute the onion with the garlic (if using) after the beef is browned.
- Add the beef broth with the thyme.
- Add the vegetables to the pan. When heated thru add the flour that has been mixed with the water to the pan and stir until thickened.
- Pour into a 9 x 13 pan.
- Top with the mashed potatoes. Cover the pan with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
- Remove foil and top with cheese.
- Bake for an additional 20 minutes.
- Let set 5 minutes before serving.
Maybe you’d like to try our recipe for?
Leave a Reply