This is dish my mom made often when we were growing up. I have to admit I really didn’t like it much but today when I make it, it is pure comfort food. I wouldn’t use an instant type of rice for this dish. The rice will get mushy if you do. You can use about any variety of rice but for this dish I use Uncle Ben’s rice. This dish is economical and tastes great too!
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup chopped green onion
- 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 28 oz. water
- 1 1/2 cups rice - I used Uncle Ben's
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 2 teaspoons basil
- salt and pepper
- Brown the ground beef. Add the onion and green pepper. Stir in the crushed tomatoes and water. Add the seasonings. Cook for 15 minutes.
- Add the rice. Cook for 20 minutes or until rice is tender.
Maybe you’d like to try our recipe for?