Crock Pot Pot Roast with Potatoes and Carrots
Making a pot roast in the crock pot is one of my favorite ways to cook it. I put it on in the morning and by afternoon the house smells amazing. Sometimes I make mashed potatoes but on the days where I suspect time might be short for getting dinner ready I cook the potatoes with the roast and carrots like I did here.
The roast is under all of the vegetables. I sauted the onions also to get them a little browned before putting the lid on the crock pot.
Remove the juices to a pan to make gravy and it is ready to serve.
- 1 3 - 4 lb. beef pot roast
- vegetable oil
- large onion
- 2 tablespoons beef base
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup water
- Season the pot roast with the salt, pepper, thyme and garlic powder.
- Heat a little vegetable or olive oil in a saute pan. Add the roast and quickly brown the roast on all sides. Add to the crock pot.
- Add the water and the beef base. Quickly season the vegetables with salt and pepper.
- Cover the crock pot. Cook on LOW for 8 hours or HIGH for 4 hours.
- Remove the juices from the pot to a saucepan. (I use a baster)
- Mix together the flour and water until no lumps remain. Stir slowly into the boiling juices until the desired consistency is reached for the gravy.
Maybe you’d like to try our recipe for?