Burrito Bowl with Shredded Chicken and then topped it with the normal Mexican toppings of red onion, sweet peppers, tomatoes, some sour cream and guacamole.
I got the new crock pot that is a 9 x 13 casserole dish and saw a recipe for beans I wanted to try with a Mexican twist. I followed the instructions and for those that know me know that doesn’t happen often. I was so excited to use this crock pot and so far have been very unhappy with the results. Both times the cooking time was way longer by a considerable amount and for this dish I ended up finishing it on the stove the first time I made it.
I wasn’t going to share it because of the whacky cooking times so I made it again on the stove and it came out perfect. I am going to try one more time to make something in that casserole crock pot and if that doesn’t work it is going back to Sam’s. I certainly hope if you bought the new Casserole Crock Pot you are having a better experience than I am. If you did, leave me a comment below.
This dish is pretty healthy I made it with cranberry beans, rice, shredded chicken and some rotel and then topped it with the normal Mexican toppings of red onion, sweet peppers, tomatoes, some sour cream and guacamole. Be sure to sprinkle some cheese on it too. I had some Cojita cheese which is the Mexican version of Parmesan cheese so I used that. All and all it was a real tasty dish.
A quicker version of this dish would be to use 2 cans of cooked pinto beans. Add the onions, seasonings and proceed from that point. You can even use leftover chicken instead of the chicken breasts. This dish has all of the ingredients you would find in a burrito served over rice.
- 3 chicken breast halves
- 1 lb. cranberry beans or pintos
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 can Ro-tel tomatoes
- 4 tablespoons taco seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- red onion, sweet peppers, tomatoes, some sour cream and guacamole over rice
- Look thru the beans and throw out any that are split or broken, make sure there also any little stones in them. Rinse them well. Add the water and bring to a boil, Remove from heat and let set for 30 minutes. You can also soak the beans in cold water overnight.
- Drain and rinse the beans. Put them in a heavy pan with the onions. Add enough water to cover them and cook over medium heat until the beans are tender. Add the chicken broth, ro-tel tomatoes, seasonings. Continue to cook until the beans start to thicken and get creamy.
- Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper. Place the chicken breasts on top of the beans and cover the pan. Cook over medium low heat for 20 - 25 minutes. Remove the chicken breasts and allow to cool. When they are cool shred the chicken into pieces and refrigerate until ready to use.
- It the water evaporates before the beans reach the creamy stage add more water. When the beans get creamy use a potato masher and mash up some of the beans, but not all. You can add the chicken in back at this point. Keep warm while you make rice to serve it over. Spoon the bean mixture over the rice.
- Top with tomatoes, onions, sweet peppers, cheese, guacamole and sour cream.
Maybe you’d like to try our: