Gooey Butter Pear Cake is awesome for breakfast or brunch. Lightly spiced pears, cream cheese and light yeast bread make up this delicious coffee cake.
Gooey Butter Pear Cake
I made this yesterday afternoon, it took about 30 minutes of prep time and about 40 minutes baking time. I had 2 perfectly ripe pears and am so glad I tried this recipe out and will definitely be making it again.
When purchasing pears for this I would use Anjou’s or Bosc pears. Both pears are great for baking and hold their shape. You can tell when a pear is ripe by firmly pressing the pear, it will have a bit of give, just be careful they bruise easily. You can also tell when a pear is ripe by the smell. Pears are usually available from September to April.
- 2 medium pears, peeled, cored and diced
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- For cake:
- 1/2 cup milk, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons instant yeast
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) butter, at room temperature, divided
- For topping:
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, at room temperature
- 4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup corn syrup
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- For garnish:
- Powdered sugar
- Grease a 9 x 13 baking pan with cooking spray.
- Combine milk, yeast, sugar, salt, egg in your mixer bowl. Add flour and mix until you have a smooth dough.
- Add butter, 2 tablespoons at a time until mixed in. This should take about 5 minutes. Your dough will get really supple and will appear too wet but it is fine, it is supposed to be this way.
- Place the dough in your prepared pan. I used a little flour on my hands and patted it out. Cover and let raise for about 45 minutes or until doubled.
- Peel and cube up the pears. Add cinnamon, cover and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Mix together topping. Add butter, cream cheese, sugar, corn syrup, vanilla and salt to your mixing bowl. Mix together until creamy. Add eggs one a time, until well mixed in. Stir in flour.
- By this time your dough should be doubled. Sprinkle pears over dough evenly. Dollop the topping on top of the pears. Spread out with a knife to make it as even as you can.
- Bake for about 40 minutes, center should still be jiggly. Let cool, sprinkle with powdered sugar if desired.
- Yield: 16 servings
- Note: Refrigerate leftovers. Best served at room temperature.
- Per serving: 300 calories; 14g fat; 8g saturated fat; 75mg cholesterol; 4g protein; 40g carbohydrate; 19g sugar; 1g fiber; 265mg sodium; 30mg calcium.
Susan Golden says
I cannot find the recipe for the Gooey Butter Pear Cake…now that you teased my tummy please provide the link since I keep going in circles.
Thanks, Susan :-)
Mary Ellen says