Old Fashioned Gingerbread
When I was a little girl I can remember my grandmother making gingerbread often. She would top it with mounds of wonderful sweetened whipped cream. We are going to skip that part and use a couple tablespoons of Sugar Free Cool Whip instead and not miss a thing.
This cake is full of flavor and is wonderful texture and an added bonus is your house will smell wonderful while it bakes! I learned some of my best cooking lessons in my grandmothers kitchen. All of my aunts, uncles and my mom would get in there and cook up a storm. I am sure that this gingerbread would pass their scrutiny.
- 1/2 cup(s) unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup(s) packed brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp molasses
- 1/2 cup(s) regular egg substitute
- 1 cup(s) buttermilk
- 1/2 tsp table salt
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 2 Tbsp crystallized ginger, chopped
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 1/4 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup(s) whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 Tbsp butter
- Cream together butter and brown sugar.
- Add all of the wet ingredients and blend well.
- Stir in dry ingredients and mix until well blended.
- Put batter into a 8 inch pan that has been sprayed with Pam.
- Bake at 350 (325 if using a glass pan) for 40-45 minutes.
- Serve warm.
- POINTS® Value: 5 for 9 servings Total recipe as written is 44 points in case you want to adjust number of servings