I was in the mood for Chicken Parmesan and decided to try and lighten it up. I came up with a 9 point dish and felt like I wasn’t missing a thing. I did not bread the chicken and instead cooked it in the sauce.
Right before serving I took the chicken out of the pan and added some mozzarella cheese and put it under the broiler to melt it. From start to finish this dish took about 30 minutes.
- 2 chicken breast halves
- 1 medium Spanish onion, chopped in large pieces
- 16 oz. can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 small can tomato paste
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 cups water
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp ground basil
- 1/2 tsp ground oregano
- 1 tsp table salt
- 1 large zucchini, cut in large chunks
- 6 oz uncooked whole-wheat pasta
- 2 oz. low fat mozzarella cheese
- Spray pan with Pam. Cut each chicken breast into 3 strips. Brown lightly and remove from pan. Add onions and garlic.
- Add remaining ingredients except for zucchini. Cook over medium heat for 20 minutes. Taste to adjust seasonings.
- Chop zucchini into large pieces.
- Start pasta cooking and add zucchini and chicken back to the sauce. Cook 10 more minutes.
- Spray a pie pan with Pam and add cooked chicken strips. Top with the mozzarella cheese. Put under broiler until cheese melts.
- Drain pasta and add to sauce. Serve.
- WW points per serving using 4 - 5 oz. of chicken
- You will have 4 servings of pasta
- Mary Ellen