Pumpkin Spice Cake
I made this cake last night and decided with the first bite I had to share it with you. It is the best pumpkin cake! Of course anytime I can use my great Penzey’s cinnamon I know it is going to be good. This cake is so moist and the texture is wonderful. I topped it with a thin glaze of water and 10X sugar while still warm. This cake stands on its own and really doesn’t need a thick sweet frosting. Serve it instead with ice cream and a caramel sauce. Yum!
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup butter - softened
- 2/3 cup oil
- 1 can (1 lb.) pumpkin
- In a separate bowl, beat eggs thoroughly.
- Add sugar to the butter and beat until lemony, light and fluffy. Add eggs. Mix well.
- Gradually add oil, softened butter and pumpkin, beat well after each addition.
- Sift together dry ingredients. On low speed, blend in flour, several spoonfuls at a time. Beat only until flour is moistened.
- Bake in an greased tube pan, at 350 degrees° for 50 - 60 minutes. ( I actually turned the oven down to 325 about half-way thru and my cake was done in just over 50 minutes. Baking time will depend on the size pan you use.)
- Frost if while warm if you are going to glaze it. Cool cake on a wire rack. Enjoy!
Note: One of my favorite tools while baking is a cake tester. I never had one until a few years ago and I couldn’t be without one now. It makes testing a cake like this especially easy. You can usually find them for around $2.