Best Ever Chocolate Ice Cream
This ice cream is made using real chocolate and oh what a difference it makes! I used 2 kinds of chocolate from Ghiradelli to make this creamy and smooth chocolate ice cream. I used both their milk chocolate and the 60% bittersweet chocolate bars.
To make the sundaes I added a cup of chocolate to a microwave safe bowl. When melted I dipped the top of the glass into the chocolate and then dipped the glass in chocolate sprinkles. Refrigerate the glasses until chocolate has hardened. Add a little chocolate syrup to the glass and add the ice cream. Repeat a couple of times. Top with whipped cream and a Twix bar.
- 1 3/4 cups milk
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 eggs - separated
- 8 oz. chocolate bars - I used a 4 oz. Ghiradelli milk chocolate bar and 4 oz. Ghiradelli 60% bittersweet chocolate bar
- Place the chocolate bars broken up in a microwave safe container to melt the chocolate. Stir at 1 minute, may need an additional 30 seconds. Watch carefully.
- Combine the milk, cream, and sugar in a saucepan. Heat until the mixture starts to steam.
- Beat the eggs in a bowl really well. Add about a half cup of the milk mixture slowly beating constantly. When combined add to the milk mixture stirring constantly.
- When the eggs and milk are combined add the melted chocolate. Mix well. Continue to cook until the mixture coats the back of a spoon. Add vanilla.
- Refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Pour into your ice cream maker and turn it on. It should take about 15 - 20 minutes to freeze depending on your ice cream maker. Put the ice cream in a freezer proof container and let set for a couple of hours.
Maybe you’d like to try another of our ice cream recipes?