I decided to make some Wonton Soup the other day when I made some crab rangoons. I made the wontons with ground pork but you could use ground chicken or ground shrimp.
These wontons are easier to make than you might think.
- 1 lb. ground pork
- 1 tablespoon ginger grated
- 3 green onions finely chopped
- 2 finely chopped garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons corn starch
- wonton wrappers (I used square)
- salt and pepper
- Soup base
- 6 cups chicken broth
- pea pods
- 2 green onions - sliced
- 1 cup thinly cut celery on the bias
- Put all of the dumpling ingredients except the wrappers in a bowl. Mix well to combine. Take a teaspoon of the filling on place it on the center of the wonton wrapper. Moisten the edges. Fold over to make a triangle. Make sure the edges are tightly closed. Take the 2 points and moisten with water. Pinch together to form the wontons.
- Bring the chicken broth to a boil. Add the wontons. in 5 minutes add the celery and julienned pea pods. Cook until wontons are tender, about 5 more minutes.
- Serve and sprinkle with green onions.
Note: This recipe makes about double of the wontons that you need for the soup. You can cook them all or freeze for later. They will also make a good pan fried dumpling.
Try our Crab Rangoon recipe!