A tender light buttermilk biscuit filled with blueberries and covered with a sweet vanilla glaze.
The blueberries are finally ripe and I went with friends to a U-pick blueberry farm up in Dade City. It is by far my most favorite place ever to pick blueberries. I went with 2 old friends from my junior high days. If someone would of told me xx years ago that is what I’d be doing on beautiful April day in Florida I would of laughed. I’m from Michigan and growing up I could never imagine leaving the snow and exchanging it for palm trees but I have. It threatened to rain while we were picking so we had a great breeze the entire time we were there.
Today I got busy with the remaining berries I didn’t freeze and made some Blueberry Grand Marnier Jam to go with these delicious blueberry biscuits. I modified my favorite biscuit recipe and added a cup of blueberries to the dough and then glazed them with a sweet vanilla glaze when they came out of the oven.
- 2 cups (10 ounces) all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk, chilled
- 8 tablespoons butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 cup confectioner's sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- Heat oven to 475 degrees F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment or a silpat liner.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients.
- In a 2-cup liquid measure, stir together the chilled buttermilk and melted butter until the butter forms small clumps. Stir the buttermilk mixture into the flour mixture with a rubber spatula just until the ingredients are incorporated and the mixture slightly pulls away from the edges of the bowl.
- Dump the dough onto a floured breadboard. Put a third of the blueberries on top. Knead the dough over 2 times and add ⅓ of the berries. Knead again and add remaining blueberries. Pat the dough out to about 1½ inches thick. Cut out circles with a biscuit cutter. Add to the prepared pan.
- Bake the biscuits until the tops are golden brown and crisp, 12 to 15 minutes. Remove from the oven.
- Mix the glaze ingredients together. Add glaze to tops of biscuits while still hot..
- Recipe adapted from America’s Test Kitchen