Spaghetti and Meatball Cupcakes
April Fool’s Day is almost here and I know the kids will love these delicious carrot cake cupcakes with spaghetti frosting topped with meatballs. This is my favorite carrot cake recipe that I’ve made for more years than I care to count. My cousin’s wife Chris gave it to me and she’d gotten it from a friend. I love how recipes get shared like that so now I’m giving it to you.
It’s Sunday Supper time again and as you can see April Fool’s Day is our theme this week. Wait until you see the amazing group of recipes from the talented bloggers below. One of my favorite things to do is to put a bowl of cereal in the freezer with milk and give it to the kids in the morning. It takes them a few minutes to figure out why they can’t get their spoon into the cereal.
April Fool’s Day has been popular since the early 19th century. While not an formal holiday it is commonly practiced in the United States, Canada and Europe.
I hope you enjoy these cupcakes as much as we did!
- 2 cups sugar
- 2½ cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1? cups vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups grated carrots
- 1 cup crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 24 Ferrero Rocher truffles
- raspberry jam
- Mix together the oil and sugar. Add the eggs and mix well. Add the carrots, pineapple, cinnamon and vanilla. Mix well.
- Stir together the baking soda, salt and flour. Add to mixing bowl and combine well. Stir in nuts if using.
- Place liners in a cupcake pan. Scoop batter into cupcake pans.
- Bake in a 350ºF. oven for about 20 minutes. Cool in pan.
- When cool, make the frosting below.
- Fit a pastry bag with a writing tip, I used tip #6. Pipe the frosting on top of cupcakes.
- Top the cupcake with a Ferreo Rocher truffle.
- Heat the raspberry jam in the microwave for 15 seconds. Stir and wait until it still cool enough to flow off of a spoon but not melt the truffle or frosting. Drizzle over the top of the truffle to represent the spaghetti.
I made a easy butter cream frosting to go on top of them but if you want a cream cheese frosting it would work as well.
- 1/2 cup butter - at room temperature
- 1 lb. confectioner's sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- dash salt
- 4 - 6 tablespoons milk
- Mix together the butter, confectioner's sugar and salt. When the butter is thoroughly incorporated add 4 tablespoons of the milk. Add remaining milk if necessary.
- Beat the frosting on high until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Frosting should be stiff enough to hold it's shape.
- Pina Colada Smoothie by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Beer Jelly by Brunch with Joy
- Berry Smoothie Incognito by Lifestyle Food Aristry
- Mashed Potato Sundaes by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Roasted Broccoli Dip by Cooking Chat
- Honey Nut Baked Brie Bloomin’ Apple by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
Sides & Snacks
- Shepherd’s Trifle by The Joyful Foodie
- Sneaky Veggie Spaghetti Sauce by Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Meatloaf “Cupcakes” with Mashed Potato “Frosting” by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- April Fools’ Strawberry Pie by Curious Cuisiniere
- Skinny Fettuccine Alfredo & Peas by Momma’s Meals
- Chicken Pad Thai with Zoodles by Nosh My Way
- Middle Eastern Roast Chicken with Green Harissa by The Texan New Yorker
- Beef Avocado and Tomato Flatbread by Family Foodie
- Fake-out Sliders and Fries by The Redhead Baker
- Pot Luck Chili Cupcakes by Palatable Pastime
- Strawberry Fool by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Bacon and “Egg” Cupcakes by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Spaghetti and Meatballs Cupcakes by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Poutine by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Chocolate Cauliflower Cake by What Smells So Good?
- Fudgy Granola Bars by Pies and Plots
- Fruit Pizza by Whole Food | Real Families
- Mud Pies by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Gluten Free Joker Cakes by Gluten Free Crumbley
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.