Sirloin Steak Skewers are pounded thin and marinated before cooking over a very high heat on the grill. They almost melt in your mouth!
I have made this several times in the last month and it just may be one of the best ways to serve sirloin steak. I love the flavor of sirloin steak but it can be way too chewy sometimes. These skewers are so tender it will change your mind about that. Pounding the steak thin and the long marinating time are the keys to success with this recipe. It was good at about 12 hours marinating time but 24 hours was better just in case you want to know if the long marinating time is necessary.
If you are wondering if you can skip soaking the skewers the answer is it is up to you. On the skewers on the platter I skipped the step and you can see they burned even though it had been in the wet marinade. On the plated ones I soaked them, so totally up to you. You can see the results of your choice.
I served it the first time with a grilled potato salad. It was a perfect match with the steak skewers. The next time I served it with Orecchiette Greek Pasta Salad that I made the morning of so all I had to do was fix a vegetable and cook the skewers that evening. It is a great way to be able to relax if you are having guests since the skewers cook in about 6 – 8 minutes. This is also a good way to serve steak to a crowd.
See the scorch marks on these skewers? You want that. I put these on the grill without getting rid of the excess marinade. I wanted it to drip down to the fire to caramelize the meat.
- 2 lbs. sirloin steak
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 4 - 5 garlic cloves - minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons sriracha sauce
- 1 tablespoon basil or a large handful fresh chopped
- green onions - garnish
- Soak skewers in water for 30 minutes or more before starting.
- Cut the sirloin steak into 1/2 inch thick strips across the grain of the meat. With a meat pounder, pound strips thin. Thread the meat unto the skewers.
- Mix all of the marinade ingredients together. Pour over the skewers and make sure they are well covered. Marinate 24 hours.
- Start grill and have at highest heat. Place skewers on grill. Turn over at about 4 minutes. Cook until desired doneness. Top with chopped green onions. I did mine on my Kamado grill and did not close the lid.