Cherry Bars have a soft cake batter base and cherry filling, topped with more of the soft cake batter and almonds.
These are easy to put together and are delicious, they would be a perfect picnic recipe. They have a soft cakey batter with a filling of cherries, more cake batter, then topped with almonds and a thin glaze. Sprinkle with confectionery sugar if desired.
These bars would also be good served warm with vanilla ice cream on the side. You can use any pie filling you want, you might want to omit the almond extract if you do.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 can (21 ounces each) cherry pie filling
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1 cup confectionary sugar
- 2 - 3 tablespoons water
- a few drops of almond extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lay a piece of parchment on a 6 x 12 pan or spray with cooking spray.
- Add the sugar and butter to the food processor. Mix pulsing on and off until sugar starts to dissolve. Add the salt, vanilla and almond extract. Pulse several times.
- Add eggs one at a time while the machine is running.
- Add the flour and pulse until just combined.
- Put 2/3 of the batter down on the prepared pan. Spread out evenly. Add fruit over the batter. Dollop remaining batter over the top of the cherries. Sprinkle with the almonds.
- Bake for 30 - 35 minutes or until it starts to brown. Cherries will be bubbly in the center when done. Cool.
- Mix together glaze ingredients and fling glaze over the top. Cut into squares.
- Note: if you double the recipe use a 15 x 10 baking pan.