Shredded smoked turkey is seasoned up to make one delicious Smoked Turkey Burritos.
Smoked Turkey Burritos Recipe
I smoked a whole turkey the other day on my Kamado grill. For some reason at my house no one ever eats the legs and wings. I usually throw them into the pot when I make stock just so I don’t waste them. I decided today to turn them into a really tasty burrito filling. OMGosh these burritos were amazing. I will be doing this from now on whenever I have turkey legs or wings, smoked or not.
I made the Mexican Rice I made a few weeks ago to go with it and some Refried Beans with no added fat. Instead of adding bacon fat to the beans, I cook them in chicken stock. It adds the additional flavor to make up for the lose of the bacon fat and the beans are so much better for you. To a lb. of beans I add 3 cups of chicken stock, an onion and 3 – 4 cloves of garlic. I don’t add salt until towards the end of the cooking time, salt can toughen the beans making them harder to get tender. I add mine after I mash the beans.
- 2 turkey legs - I used smoked
- 2 turkey wings - I used smoked
- can of green chilis
- 1 1/2 cups medium salsa
- 4 garlic cloves - minced
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon jalapeno pepper - chopped finely
- salt and pepper
- Put wings and legs in a pan with just enough water to cover them. Bring to a boil and turn down to medium heat. Cover. When the turkey is falling off the bones remove from heat and let cool until you can handle it.
- Remove turkey from bones and put in a pan. Add the remaining ingredients. Cook for about 30 minutes until the vegetables are tender.