Spinach, feta and dill with Filo dough makes up this delicious spinach pie one of my favorite recipes.
Spinach Pie Recipe
This is my all time favorite spinach recipe. I don’t even remember when I first started making it. I know one of aunts I think brought it to a family party and I have been making it ever since. I always use frozen chopped spinach for this dish. I don’t think fresh would change the outcome enough to warrant the cost.
Have you ever worked with filo dough? Don’t let it scare you. Try and buy it somewhere you think it has a quick turnover in the freezer at your store. The fresher it is the easier it is to work with. Old filo dough gets dried out rather quickly and breaks apart when you separate the sheets. Depending on what I am making I sometimes put a slightly damp towel over the filo. If I was using filo dough for the first time I might still do that. Every layer needs a light brushing of butter on it. It helps to separate the leaves as it bakes and makes the filo crisper. Some people use a light sprinkle of breadcrumbs.
- 10 oz. frozen chopped spinach drained and squeezed dry
- 4 T. butter
- 4 T. flour
- 1/2 t. salt
- 1 1/2 C. milk
- 3 T. chopped green onion
- 1/2 t. dill weed
- 1 T. oil
- 2 eggs
- 4 oz. feta cheese
- 1 C. small curd cottage cheese
- Package of Filo Dough (if frozen thaw ahead in refrigerator)
- Melt butter in pan and stir in flour. Cook 1 minute. Add salt and milk and cook until thick. Cook 1 more minute.
- Add green onion, dill weed and oil to saute pan. Cook until onion is almost tender. Add spinach. Cook 2 more minutes or until moisture is gone.
- Add cream sauce to spinach mixture. Let cool slightly and add 2 beaten eggs, feta cheese and cottage cheese.
- Spray a 9 x 12 inch pan with oil. Melt 1/2 C. butter to use on Filo sheets. Put 1st Filo sheet on bottom of pan and spread with butter. Top with 2 more sheets with butter between each sheet. Top with 1/3 spinach mixture. Top with Filo and repeat butter process for 2 more sheets. Add another 1/3 of spinach mixture. Repeat Filo dough and top with spinach mixture. Add another layer of Filo and brush well with butter. You should have 4 layers of Filo and 3 layers of spinach mixture.
- Bake at 325°F. for 35-40 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.