Pumpkin bagels with cinnamon and pumpkin pie spices.
Pumpkin Bagels Recipe with Pumpkin Butter Cream Cheese
I’ve been buying pumpkin bagels now since Labor Day. While I was working on That’s My Home the other day I ran across this recipe for them and decided to make bagels. It had been years since I made a bagel and I had forgotten how good homemade bagels are.
I also made a cream cheese spread to go with them. I used 4 oz. of cream cheese, 4 tablespoon homemade pumpkin butter and 2 tablespoons butter. Mix them all together until light and fluffy. It was perfect with the bagels. For good measure I added another teaspoon of apple butter on top of the bagels when ready to serve. It was perfection!
- 1/2 cup lukewarm water
- 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 3 tablespoons lukewarm water
- 2 cups white bread flour
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- Add they yeast, brown sugar and water to a mixing bowl. Let set 5 minutes or until yeast is bubbly. Add remaining ingredients. Mix until the dough comes together to make a soft dough. (Add additional water if needed) Knead for about 5 minutes with the dough hook or until the dough becomes smooth and elastic. Cover and let rise until doubled.
- Divide into 6 parts. Form balls, gently press thumb through center of ball and slowly stretch into bagel shape.
- While bagels rise, bring three quarts of water and one tablespoon of sugar to a rapid boil in a large saucepan. Using a slotted spoon, drop 2-3 bagels into rapidly boiling water. Boil on each side for 1/2 minutes. Remove and cool on rack 1 minute, brush with egg and sprinkle with sesame or poppy seeds, if desired.
- Bake at 400ºF on a baking sheet sprinkled with cornmeal, until golden, approximately 15 minutes.
- adapted from thatsmyhome.com