Cheese Steak Soup
It was a rainy kind of morning here so I decided a pot of soup sounded good. I made a beef steak soup where the broth is also the star. I caramelized a couple of onions to start the base for the soup. I didn’t caramelize them as far as I would for a French onion soup but they were getting there. You can see in the picture below the color they were when I added the broth and vegetables to start the soup. Caramelizing the onions this way adds an incredible amount of depth to the broth that you won’t get any other way.
It doesn’t take any longer if you do more onions than you need for this dish and then you can freeze them so you can have this soup anytime you want it in less than 45 minutes. Freeze the extra onions in freezer proof bags in the amount you need for a batch of soup. These onions are also great for dips or roasts, once you start making them you will find all kinds of uses for them. I usually fill up my pan with onions when I make them just because of the time involved to make them.
Another tip for making this soup is to put the piece of steak in the freezer for 30 minutes before you slice it into very thin strips. Because we are using round steak and it is not very tender it has to be paper thin almost to be tender when used this way.
- 3/4 lb. round steak
- 2 tablespoons oil - divided use
- 6 cups water or beef broth
- 1 tablespoon Minor's beef broth base
- 2 medium onions
- 2 carrots
- 1 stalk celery
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 slices texas toast
- 1 clove garlic
- cooking spray
- cheddar cheese
- parsley - optional
- Slice the onions into thin slices. Add a tablespoon of the oil to a large pan. Add the onions and cook until golden brown, stirring frequently. It will take about an hour. You can also get it started and put it in the oven at 400 degrees and stir about every 10 minutes and it will be done in less than an hour.
- Make the croutons while the onions are caramelizing. Cut the texas toast into cubes. Put them on a cookie sheet with 1 clove of crushed garlic. Spray lightly with the cooking spray. Mix it all together and spray one more time lightly. Put them in a 400 degree oven until they are lightly browned. Mine took about 15 minutes. Cool.
- Dice the carrots and celery. Add the beef broth or water to the pan with the beef base, carrots and celery. Cook until tender, about 20 minutes.
- Slice the meat into very thin slices. Add a tablespoon of oil to a frying pan. Quickly fry the steak pieces, add to the soup. Deeglaze the pan with a little bit of water and add to the soup.
- Cook the soup an additional 5 minutes and then serve.
- To serve, top with the croutons and then a little cheddar cheese. Broil on High until the cheese is melted. Top with parsley if using.
Pasta e Fagnoli