Creamy vanilla pudding, bananas and vanilla wafers star in this low fat banana pudding.
Low Fat Banana Pudding
Banana Pudding for breakfast! Sometimes one just has to have dessert first. I made this late last night and couldn’t take pictures of it until this morning and I had to taste test it, right? It passed the taste test. Besides dessert for breakfast according to my Aunt Shirley is a good thing to do.
I have one of the neatest aunts, she loves life and fun. When we were kids she always let us do things no one else would of. She let us color on the walls of my cousins Mike and Aaron’s bedroom, every inch of it. Who knew paint wouldn’t cover it? Or if you made the mistake of hanging out by the kitchen window while she was doing dishes, you might get a little wet. Yep, not sure to this day what she did to that sprayer to make it spray so far. A super soaker squirt gun had nothing on Aunt Shirley.
She didn’t cook much, my uncle did but she could make the best pies ever. Dessert first is one of life’s best lessons she taught me. She came and stayed with me for a week a few years ago and I totally had forgotten that. We went somewhere out to lunch and she ordered her lunch and dessert and said she’d like the dessert first please. I looked at her and then remembered. We both had dessert first. This way if you get full you still had the best part of the meal. This banana pudding might be low fat but I can guarantee it would be Aunt Shirley approved.
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- Dash of salt
- 2 1/2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 1 (14-oz.) can fat-free sweetened condensed milk
- 2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 cups sliced ripe bananas
- sugar free cool whip (or fat free)
- 48 reduced-fat vanilla wafers
- Add the flour and salt to a saucepan. Stir in the milk. Whisk to combine well. Add the condensed milk and egg yolks. Whisk well. Cook over medium heat until mixture coats the back of a spoon. Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla. Cover with plastic wrap for 20 minutes.
- Layer some of the vanilla wafers on the bottom of your serving dish. Top with 1/3 of the pudding. Add a layer of bananas. Repeat twice. Cover and let cool.
- Just before serving top with the cool whip and place cookies around the outside of bowl. Crumble up a couple of cookies over the topping.