Chocolaty, moist cake, no one will guess your secret ingredient is zucchini!
Chocolate Zucchini Cake
I wanted chocolate cake this week and the recipe for this cake has been on my to do list for a while now. I love buying old recipe books and occasionally if I’m lucky I find old recipe boxes filled with recipes that someone no longer values. I’m lucky as I have my moms, my grandmothers and great grandmothers recipe books. A treasure trove of memories! I found this recipe in one of those old books I found at a garage sale.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 1/2 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 3/4 cup Cocoa
- 3 cups shredded zucchini (about one 10" zucchini)
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- Grease a bundt pan and set aside.
- Beat butter, oil, vanilla and sugar together until light. Add eggs, mix in well.
- Shred zucchini, squeeze it before measuring to get out excess water.
- Add cocoa to oil mixture. Mix it in well. Add zucchini.
- Put dry ingredients in a bowl. Mix together.
- Add half of the flour mixture and half of the buttermilk. Repeat. Make sure batter is thoroughly mixed. Add 1/2 cup chocolate chips. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 50 - 60 minutes or until a tester comes out clean.
Maybe you’d like to try?