Try our meatballs with caramelized onions and mushrooms. Serve with brown rice.
Meatballs with Caramelized Onion Mushroom Gravy
It has been raining for days here and I wanted comfort food that wouldn’t blow my diet, this recipe works for me. I bought a 93% ground beef to lessen the fat and baked the meatballs. I only used a teaspoon of oil to caramelize the onions which will work if you have a real heavy pan and patience.
Baking your meatballs instead of frying them as my grandmother would of done is a great way to reduce fat. Here are my meatballs just out of the oven. You can also freeze them at this point if you desire.
I served this with a Baked Brown Rice I made the other day but buttered noodles or mashed potatoes would also be good.
- 1 lb. ground beef
- ½ cup cracker crumbs
- 1 egg
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
- ¼ cup finely chopped onion
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 3 cups water
- 2 tablespoons beef base
- 1 medium onion
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 2 – 3 garlic cloves
- 1 lb. sliced mushrooms
- salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- ¼ cup water
- Put all meatball ingredients in a bowl and mix it together. This is easiest done with your hands. Mix together for several minutes. Roll meat mixture into walnut sized balls and place on a greased cookie sheet. Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes.
- While the meatballs are baking start the gravy by browning the onions in oil until they start to caramelize. Add garlic, continue to cook for 15 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add water, beef base, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and add meatballs. Simmer for 15 minutes or longer gently.
- Stir together cornstarch and ¼ cup of water. Stir into meatballs. Cook for 5 minutes. Serve.
- That's My Home
Maybe you’d like to try our?