I know I posted this over on Facebook but it will be easier to find here in the future and this is a recipe I plan to make often. The cake is as tender as can be be and really moist. You get a blueberry in every bite, yum.
I plan on making a few variations with the cake as soon as this one is finished. I made this for breakfast to go with coffee the other day when I had overnight guests.
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 cup sugar, plus 2 to 3 tablespoons to sprinkle on top
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- Pinch salt
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour plus 1/4-cup for blueberries
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups blueberries
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8 x 8 pan.
- Beat egg whites until foamy, then beat in 1/4-cup sugar. Continue to beat until whites are stiff and glossy. Set aside.
- Beat butter until light, add sugar and salt. Beat in egg yolks one at a time. Blend well.
- Add flour to mixing bowl with baking powder. Add half of the flour mixture to the butter mixture. Add about half the milk. Add remaining flour and milk.
- When the batter is well mixed add 1/3 of the egg whites. Fold in remaining egg whites being careful not to delfate the whites.
- Toss blueberries with remaining 1/4 cup of flour. Fold into batter. Pour into prepared pan. Sprinkle 2 - 3 tablespoons sugar on top. (I skipped that step)
- Bake for 35 - 40 minutes until top is golden and a toothpick is clean when inserted into cake.
- Serves 8.