Salt Cod Fritters
Happy Birthday Isabel!
I first fell in love with Salt Cod Fritters in Fall River, MA. years ago when I lived outside of Boston. Until I moved there I’d never heard of salt cod. I’m sharing with you my favorite Salt Cod Fritters in honor of Isabel’s birthday with dishes we’d bring to her virtual birthday party. Isabel is the founder of the Sunday Supper Movement. I try to take part in it a few times a month because it is a cause I believe is so important for everyone to think about.
When I grew up we always had supper together and for sure Sunday dinner. Sometimes we went to our grandmothers who always held a place for you at the table. She expected you to be there, no invite needed. You learned all kinds of things around that table and some you wish you hadn’t sometimes. It was all about one thing, family. Family, Food and Memories.
These salt cod fritters are so good. If you can’t find salt cod they work with fresh cod also. The fritters are made with riced potatoes, salt cod, onions and seasonings. After you get them mixed together you shape them into an oblong shape before they are deep fried. They are an excellent appetizer and can be made ahead and reheated in the oven right before serving.
- 8 ounces salted cod
- 12 ounces russet potatoes, unpeeled
- 1 small onion, very finely chopped
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon Tuscan Seasoning (mix of basil, oregano, aleppo peppers, garlic, thyme, fennel, black peppers and anise seed)
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Place the salt cod in a bowl and cover with cold water. Refrigerate. Change water 4 times over a 12 hour period. Cook cod for 20 minutes in boiling water. Drain well. Flake right away.
- Boil the potatoes with the skins on until tender. Remove skins as soon as you can handle the potatoes. Run the potatoes thru a ricer or mash well in a large bowl.
- Add the cod, diced onion to the bowl.
- Break the eggs into another bowl and scramble well. Add the eggs to the potato mixture with the Tuscan Seasoning. Mix well.
- Use a large spoon and get some of the potato mixture. Shape into a long oval shape.
- Preheat the oil in a large pan to 370 degrees. Add the fritters to the pan, but do not crowd. I did mine in 3 batches. Drain on a paper towel. Serve while hot.
- Birthday Cake Cocktails by Daily Dish Recipes
- Blueberry Lavender Mojitos by Amee’s Savory Dish
- Caipirinha Colada by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventure
- Fig-Bourbon Fizz by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Mocha Martini by Desserts Required
- Mocha Mudslide by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Plum and Thyme Champagne Cocktail by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Summer Fizzies by Momma’s Meals
- 2-Ingredient Deviled Eggs by Shockingly Delicious
- Apple and Chorizo Crostini with Shallots and Basil by Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Buffalo Chicken Wontons by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Burrata Caprese Crostini with Proscuitto by The Crumby Cupcake
- Chorizo and Kimchi Potato Pancakes from kimchi MOM
- Cotija and Roasted Corn Guacamole by Simply Healthy Family
- Gluten Free Basil Tomato Flatbread by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Salt Cod Fritters by Recipes Food and Cooking
Birthday Main Courses:
- Chai Sweet Chili Chicken Flatbread by Lifestyle Food Artistry
- Chorizo Eggs Salad by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Espetada (Portuguese Beef Skewers) by Curious Cuisiniere
- Grilled Salmon Rice Salad by Magnolia Days
- Sofrito Marinated Beef Skewers by Nik Snacks
- Steak with Red Wine Reduction and Blue Cheese by The Weekend Gourmet
- Angel Food Cake by Feeding Big
- Birthday Blondies by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake with Buttercream Icing by Whole Food | Real Families
- Chocolate Doughnuts with White and Chocolate Glaze by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- French Vanilla Eclair Cake by Love and Confections
- Homemade No-Churn Nutella Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Cheesecake by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Italian Cream Cake by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Japanese Cherry Blossom Brownies and 10 Tips on How-To Get Drunk With Happiness by NinjaBaker
- Mint Chocolate Cream Pie by gotta get baked
- Pink Lemonade Cookies by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Queijadas de Sintra by Food Lust People Love
- Red Currant Cheesecake Ice Cream by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Summer Peach Cake by The Wimpy Vegetarian