Pineapple Blueberry Ooey Gooey Butter Cake
I was asked to come up with a pineapple and blueberry combination by an old friend of mine. We went blueberry picking a few weeks ago before she left to go back to Michigan. So Shirley this recipe is for you. I think you’ll like it. It also worked out for Sunday Supper this week our theme was tropical foods or originating from the tropics. Do you know it takes 2 years for a pineapple to grow?
In case you haven’t noticed I love making Ooey Gooey Butter Cakes. I think this is my fifth one in the last year. For sure your favorite one so far has been our Chocolate Peanut Butter Ooey Gooey Butter Cake. I am hoping this combination of pineapple and blueberries will become one of your favorites too! If you ever wanted to know what spring tastes like I think this cake describes it with the first bite.
This is the cake after it had cooled for about a hour. When it first comes out of the oven it will be puffy all over and then fall as it cools in the center. These cakes are best at room temperature I think. They do need to be refrigerated if there are leftovers. Sprinkle with some confectionery sugar before serving if desired.
- 1 butter cake mix or yellow
- 1 egg
- ½ cup butter
- ¼ cup pineapple juice
- 4 cups blueberries
- 8 oz. cream cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1 16 oz. can crushed pineapple - drained - reserve juice
- ½ cup butter - melted
- 3 cups confectioner sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a mixing bowl dump the cake mix, egg, 1.2 cup melted butter and pineapple juice. Mix until it is thoroughly combined. Press on the bottom of a greased 9 x 13 pan.
- Sprinkle the blueberries over the base. Press them down lightly into the batter.
- In another bowl combine the cream cheese, ½ cup melted butter, eggs and vanilla. Mix until combined. Make sure the crushed pineapple is well drained. Add to the cream cheese. Mix until combined and add the confectionery sugar. When mixed pour over the blueberries.
- Bake at 350 (325 if a glass pan) for an hour. Check several times before that. Mine took 1 hour and 5 minutes. A tester should be clean when you check it. If in doubt leave in another 5 minutes.
Tidbits and Pupus
- Chicken and Lemongrass Sugarcane Skewers by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Coconut crusted Tofu with Spicy Mango Cucumber Topping by Soni’s Food
- Larp (Laos chicken salad) by Caroline’s Cooking
- Midwest Style Loco Moco by Our Good Life
- Tropical Sunrise Fruit Salad with Coconut Chia Cream by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Caribbean Black Beans with Rice by A Day in the Life on the Farm
Condiments and Sauces
- Cilantro Margarita by An Appealing Plan
- Coconut Mojito by Flour On My Face
- Pineapple Upside Down Cake Cocktail by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Strawberry Lava Flow by Nosh My Way
- Bali Spicy Grilled Fish – Ikan Bakar Jimbaran by Food Lust People Love
- Crockpot Hawaiian Pulled Pork by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Grilled Jerk Shrimp Roll with Tropical Fruit Slaw by Food Done Light
- Grilled Swordfish with Pineapple Salsa by Cooking Chat
- Kalua Pig by Palatable Pastime
- Mango Barbecued Pork Chops by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Mango Lime Fajitas by Curious Cuisiniere
- Pineapple Pork by Basic N Delicious
- Pineapple, Prosciutto and Arugula Pizza by Family Foodie
- Catibias o Cativias (Dominican Yucca Empanadas) by The Petit Gourmet
- Shrimp Salad with Avocado Ranch Dressing by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Slow Cooker Kalua Pork Tacos by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Tropical Chicken Burgers by Momma’s Meals
- Whole Roasted Bream with a Ginger-Tamarind Sauce by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Seven Layer Bars by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Tropical Sunshine Cake by Lifestyle Food Artistry
- Double Ginger Cookies by Pies and Plots
- Majarete Ice Cream by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Mini Mango Cheesecakes by The Freshman Cook
- Pineapple Blueberry Ooey Gooey Cake by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Pumpkin-Coconut Biscotti by What Smells So Good?
- Tropical Fruit Salad by The Redhead Baker
- Tropical Layered Poke Cake by Daily Dish Recipes
- Ube Panna Cotta by The Joyful Foodie
- Whole Wheat Mango Coconut Bars by Peanut Butter and Peppers
Tropical Foods and Drinks Sunday Supper
- The Best Wines to Pair with Tropical Food #SundaySupper by ENOFYLZ Wine Blog
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.