Cranberry Apple Relish
It’s Sunday Supper time again and this time we are all about Thanksgiving Side Dish recipes. Wait until you see some of the recipes the others are making. I’m sure one or even more of them is destined to be a new family favorite recipe.
I haven’t bought canned cranberry sauce in forever. Years ago I made the recipe that comes on the bag with the cranberries and have been making it ever since. Making your own cranberry sauce is so easy you’ll be wondering why you haven’t made it before either. It tastes better too! This recipe is a little step up from the cranberry bag and includes apple, orange and celery flavors. It takes only 5 minutes to cook! I even like to use this on my turkey and stuffing sandwiches.
I used the food processor to chop up all of the ingredients. A food processor makes quick work of preparing the ingredients for this recipe. This recipe can be frozen if prepared ahead. Freeze in quart bags and thaw overnight in the refrigerator. It should last up to 2 months if frozen.
- 1 12 oz. package fresh cranberries
- 1 apple
- 1 stalk celery
- 1 navel orange
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- Process the cranberries in a food processor until roughly chopped. Add to a saucepan.
- Cut the apple into chunks with the skin still on until roughly chopped. Add to a saucepan.
- Cut the celery into chunks until roughly chopped. Add to a saucepan.
- Remove the orange peel for the orange and process with 1/2 cup sugar until finely chopped. Add to a saucepan.
- Cut the orange into sections and process until roughly chopped. Strain into pan. If your oranges don't have seeds you can add it all if desired. Add to a saucepan.
- Add the remaining 1 cup of sugar to the pan..
- Bring to a boil and cook for 5 minutes. Cool.
Fruity Side Dishes
- Cranberry Apple Relish by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Cranberry Fluff Salad by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Easy Cheesy Pineapple Bake by This is How I Cook
- Pecan Cranberry Jello Salad by Curious Cuisiniere
- Slow Cooker Butternut Squash and Apples by Dizzy Busy and Hungry
Other Side Dishes
- Chestnut Stuffing by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Easy Mushroom Rice Pilaf by Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- One Pot Macaroni and Cheese by A Mind “Full” Mom
- Potato Dinner Rolls by The Redhead Baker
- Sausage, Apple, and Cranberry Stuffing by Life Tastes Good
Potato Side Dishes
- Gingered Sweet Potatoes by Simple and Savory
- Marmalade Glazed Sweet Potatoes by Sunday Supper Movement
- Sour Cream and Chive Mashed Potatoes by Cookin’ Mimi
- Sour Cream and Onion Smashed Red Potatoes by Food Done Light
- Southern Praline Sweet Potato Casserole by The Weekend Gourmet
- Southwestern Potato Bake by The Freshman Cook
- Stacked Sweet Potatoes by My Imperfect Kitchen
- Sweet Potatoes with Cumin Sage Butter by Cooking Chat
- Twice Baked Potato Casserole by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes by Mindy’s Cooking Obsession
Vegetable Side Dishes
- Acorn Squash and Brussel Sprout Side Dish by Caroline’s Cooking
- Bacon Balsamic-Roasted Brussels Sprouts by The Crumby Cupcake
- Braised Red Cabbage by Turnips 2 Tangerines
- Broccoli and Cauliflower Cheese Bake by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Candied Acorn Squash by Cricket’s Confections
- Cheesy Jalapeño Corn Casserole by Food Lust People Love
- German Green Bean Salad (Bohnensalat) by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Homemade Green Bean Casserole by Family Around The Table
- Loaded Mashed Cauliflower Casserole by My Life Cookbook
- Miso Glazed Corn by NinjaBaker.com
- Pan Roasted Carrots with Apple Molasses by Palatable Pastime
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Pine Nuts and Cranberries by The Chef Next Door
- Roasted Carrots and Parsnips with Walnut Pesto by The Hungry Goddess
- Roasted Onions with Parsley Pesto by Monica’s Table
- Roasted Parsnips with Balsamic Vinegar and Rosemary by Wholistic Woman
- Roasted Pumpkin with Rosemary and Thyme by Feeding Big
- Spicy Balsamic Roasted Vegetables by Pies and Plots
- Sweet Corn Pudding by Brunch-n-Bites
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Want to see some of my other Sunday Supper recipes?
French Toast Strawberry Kabobs
Perfect turkey accompaniment!
Mary Ellen says
It is for sure! thanks for stopping by Liz.
David @ CookingChat says
this looks so good! curious how the cranberry tastes with the apple, guessing it’s very tasty!
Mary Ellen says
yes it is, gives a bite of sweetness!
[email protected] is How I Cook says
This looks beautiful Mary Ellen. I’m so happy it is finally cranbery season!
Mary Ellen says
me too and I forgot to buy some today when I went to the store!
Laura Dembowski says
I love love love homemade cranberry sauce. Adding celery is such a good idea.
I tried this tonight for my work thanksgiving dinner tomorrow! It smells delicious!!! Can’t wait to try it! Thank you!
Mary Ellen says
hope you enjoy it!