Rye bread stuffed with sauerkraut, corned beef and Swiss cheese in this delicious Reuben Cheesy Loaf.
I’ve been wanting to make a Reuben sandwich for a few days now. I had this loaf of round deli rye that I’d bought for New Year’s in my refrigerator. After thinking for a few minutes it came to me to make it as an appetizer instead. With Super Bowl right around the corner it is the perfect time to make this. You can put it together in about 10 minutes and it bakes in 30 minutes.
Start off by cutting into the loaf to make squares to tuck all of the sauerkraut, corned beef and swiss cheese in. You want the squares to be about an inch across. If you cut too far down on the sides stick a toothpick in to hold the pieces up. (remove before serving)
Gently separate the pieces of bread and tuck the sauerkraut in. At the deli I ordered 2 slices of corned beef cut on 5 or about 1/4 inch thick. Dice the corned beef up and scatter over the sauerkraut. Top with shredded Swiss cheese.
Bake for about 30 minutes until the cheese is melted and just starting to brown. Serve with 1000 Island Dressing on the side to dip the pieces in.
Ready to dive in? I couldn’t wait to get pictures done. This couldn’t be any easier to make and I am sure it will be hit at your next party.
- 1 loaf round rye bread (not cut)
- about 1/2 lb. corned beef (2 slices 1/4 inch thick)
- 1 lb. sauerkraut
- 2 cups Swiss cheese
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons onion - chopped finely
- 1/3 cup sweet relish
- salt and pepper
- Drain the sauerkraut and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a cookie sheet.
- Cut the bread part way thru to make squares to tuck the reuben mix into. They squares should be cut a inch apart almost thru to the bottom of the loaf. Place the loaf on the cookie sheet.
- Gently spread the bread pieces to separate them a little. Tuck the sauerkraut in between each crevice.
- Dice the corned beef up into small pieces. Spread over the sauerkraut. Top with the Swiss cheese.
- Bake for about 30 minutes until the cheese is gooey and starting to turn brown.
- Make the 1000 Island Dressing while the bread is baking.