Spinach Tortellini Soup is made with fresh spinach tortellini, tomatoes, garlic and petit diced tomatoes with a hint of parmesan.
What do you make when you forget to take something out of the freezer? For me one night last week, it was this Spinach Tortellini Soup. I had been to Trader Joe’s and had bought some of their spinach tortellini earlier in the day and I quickly decided to make this easy, delicious soup. 30 minutes later this soup was on the table with fresh parmesan cheese topping it off. It was very yummy and I will make it again.
I used heavy cream in this soup because of the tomatoes, milk tends to want to curdle when mixed with tomatoes especially if the milk gets to hot. One way to reduce the calories of the heavy cream is to use canned evaporated milk, low fat will work just fine. Add about 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda to the tomatoes before you add the milk. The tomatoes will bubble up when you add the soda but the bubbles should quickly disappear.
- 2/3 package spinach tortellini
- 1 large can petite diced tomatoes
- 2 cans of water using the tomato can
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 3 - 4 cloves garlic - minced
- 1/2 box frozen spinach - thawed
- 2 teaspoons basil
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- parmesan cheese
- Saute the onions and garlic in the olive oil in a large pan. When the onion starts to get translucent add the tomatoes, seasonings and water. Bring to a boil and add the spinach tortellini. Cook for 5 minutes and add the spinach with the heavy cream. Cook until the tortellini are tender. Simmer 10 minutes.
- Top with some parmesan cheese.