Turkey Taco Salad is made with ground turkey and cannelloni beans, topped with romaine, roasted corn, tomatoes, red onion and a spicy sour cream dressing.
Turkey Taco Salad is made with ground turkey and cannelloni beans, topped with romaine, roasted corn, tomatoes, red onion and a spicy sour cream dressing. Everyone I know is on a diet and we had a party to go to the other day so I decided to see if I could make this salad a little healthier than it normally is. This one is loaded with fresh veggies and I served the chips on the side so it was up to you how much you used or didn’t use. I also a can of cannelloni beans to the turkey and love them in the mix. I forgot the fresh cilantro I had bought to go with the vegetables and remembered on the way to the party.
As I was gathering the ingredients for the salad I realized I had used the can of black beans I thought I had. After a quick look in my pantry I found several cans of beans and noticed the tops were a little dusty so I checked the dates…. all expired in 2008! The cans looked fine but they all went in the garbage. They must of been in my 2nd pantry I had before I moved and got missed out there. How often do you look at the dates on cans? I frequently do unless I know I just bought them. Where I used to live was quite a ways to a grocery store so I got used to stocking up on canned goods. So a word to the wise, if you can’t remember when you bought the canned goods you are going to use, check the dates.
When you use romaine lettuce make sure to rinse it well, most romaine is grown in sandy soils. If i doing a lot of romaine, I fill my sink with cold water and throw the individual leaves in and give it a bath. Then as I tear it into bite size pieces I put it my salad spinner. This will get rid of the excess water, if you aren’t using it right away when you refrigerate it the lettuce will get nice and crispy too. There is nothing worse than a salad made with a little extra grit! If you don’t have a salad spinner place some paper towels in the bottom of whatever you are putting your lettuce in.
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 1 can cannelloni beans or black beans
- 4 tablespoons taco mix
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup medium salsa
- Salad ingredients
- 2 heads romaine lettuce
- 1 small red onion - chopped
- 4 - 5 sweet mini peppers - chopped
- 2 ears of corn
- 2 tomatoes - chopped
- handful of fresh chopped cilantro - optional
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Taco chips on the side
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup medium salsa
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- salt and pepper
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- Brown the turkey over medium heat. Drain the beans and rinse them, then add to the turkey. Add the water, taco seasoning and salsa. Cook for about 15 minutes over medium heat, until the water has evaporated. Cool and then add to the dish you are making the salad in.
- Chop the romaine into bite size pieces. Roast corn in oven or microwave the ears of corn with the husks on for 4 minutes. Let cool and then remove to a bowl. Chop the tomatoes, peppers and red onions, add to the corn. Add the chopped cilantro. Mix all of the vegetables together.
- Mix the dressing ingredients together.
- Layer the romaine over the cooled meat and beans. Top with the dressing as evenly as you can. Put the vegetable mixture on top of the dressing. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Add the cheese on top before serving. Place a bowl of crushed up corn chips beside the salad.