Sparkly Candy Cane cookies for the Christmas season!
I made these cookies for the first time this week. The dough is easy to work with and tastes great!
- 1 cup butter
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup confectioners sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons peppermint extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 12 drops red food coloring
- 1 cup sanding sugar (for rolling in) about
- Using your stand mixer fitted with the paddle, beat butter and sugars together until light and fluffy, about 4-5 minutes. Add egg yolks, flavorings and beat until incorporated.
- Add flour and salt and mix until combined.
- Divide dough in half and add red food coloring to half of the dough.
- Shape each half into a 5 inch square on parchment or waxed paper. Refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Roll each square into a 9 inch square. Flip one dough square on top of the other. Gently roll it to adhere together. Refrigerate 15 minutes. Cut dough in half. Cut into 1/4 inch strips and dip into sanding sugar. Twist the dough and shape into a candy cane shape. Place on a greased baking sheet. (when my pan was full, I put them back in the fridge for 15 minutes)
- Preheat oven to 350°. Bake for 10 – 13 minutes or until the edges begin to show browning. Cool on cookie sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a cooling rack.
- Cook's Magazine